Rapid industrial development across China has polluted watersheds, devastated ecosystems, and compromised human health in countless communities. A young environmental movement is growing in scope, yet there is still an enormous need to establish trusted local organizations and stronger networks. The China Advisory Board is committed to building and supporting the infrastructure of this crucial environmental movement, enabling groups to work with communities and the government to tackle what in many areas is becoming an environmental crisis.
Visit the China Advisory Board Website.
- Build the capacity of the environmental movement by establishing ‘resource centers’ across China
- Support under-served regions and groups.
- Support youth groups, such as the China Youth Climate Action Network (see ‘Grants’)
- Encourage transparency and information sharing
Waters and rivers
Pollution and environmental health
Energy and climate change
China Youth Climate Action NetworkGrant #: 52-573
Focus: Climate Change
The China Youth Climate Action Network (CYCAN) is a coalition of seven different youth organizations that facilitates projects and activities related to sustainable energy and climate change mitigation. From the time Global Greengrants Fund provided CYCAN with its first two grants in 2008, the network has worked hard to build awareness among Chinese youth about global climate change and to empower their solutions. With this small grant, CYCAN surveyed the energy consumption of 16 universities and then initiated campus-based activities around climate change, spreading awareness and initiating change in university communities.
Dalian EnvironmentGrant #: 54-192
Dalian Black Reef Coastal National Geologic Park has suffered from substantial garbage and sewage pollution. Dalian Environment organized beach clean-up days, monitored legal enforcement of pollution standards (from local industries), and held community seminars and environmental education programs with funding from Global Greengrants.
Green Hunan AllianceGrant #: 53-404
Green Hunan Alliance works to promote environmental protection throughout China’s Hunan province. In particular, the group works to protect water resources and promote energy efficiency and pollution reduction at the community level. The organization used a small grant to investigate water pollution in the Xingjian River. It was then able to build a campaign to raise awareness about the river’s pollution levels among local citizens and the media.
- Jun, 2016: Global Greengrants Fund has been breaking new ground in environmental grantmaking for more than 20 years. We buck traditional philanthropic models by giving local people in non-industrialized countries the power to decide which projects to…
- Apr, 2016: Today we are delighted to announce our ground-breaking partnership with International Development Exchange (IDEX), Grassroots International, and Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights to amplify and strengthen grassroots solutions to our…